THE RECCE CORPS ROLL OF HONOUR & STAINED GLASS WINDOW
On Sunday 30 April 1950 a memorial service was held in St Martin-in-the-Fields to commemorate the achievements of the Reconnaissance Corps during the 1939-45 war and those of the officers and men who fell in the service of their country. During the service a table inlaid with the Corps badge on the top, and beneath it a book of Remembrance containing the Corps Roll of Honour, were dedicated by the Chaplain-General to the Forces, The Rev'd Canon LL Hughes. Later the entire Table and Book of Remembrance were entrusted to the care of the Rev'd Tubby Clayton to remain permanently in the Baptistry of All Hallows.
On Remembrance Sunday, 10 November 1985, a stained glass window bearing the badge of the Reconnaissance Corps was dedicated. The memorial window commemorates all who wore the badge with pride. It not only symbolises the formation of the elite, where only the highest standards were acceptable and where considerable bravery was exhibited in leading from the front, but a sense of comradeship born out of mutual dependence and strength of faith in each other.
If you wish to contact those who have information about the Corps, please contact Pat Mellis (Secretary, Reconnaissance Corps Association) email: firstname.lastname@example.org.